Plan of the Town & County of Newcastle upon Tyne and the Borough of Gateshead with their respective suburbs.
Publisher: T Oliver, Newcastle upon Tyne;
Date of Publication: 1831
Stock Code: 5171
Portrait map approximately 52” x 40”, engraved by W. Lizars of Edinburgh, dissected and laid onto linen, edged in green with marbled finger plates. Scale: 3 chains to an inch. Housed in a maroon straight grained morocco book-style slipcase made by Thomas Wedell of Newcastle, gilt tooled floral border to sides and gilt tooled spine. The area covered is from St Peter’s and Byker Toll in the East to Westgate Hill Cemetery in the West, Arthur’s Hill and the Town Moor to the North and James’ Hospital to the South to include the majority of Gateshead. It is embellished with a cartouche with titles, engravings of the Town & County Arms to the top right corner and a view of Newcastle from the South to lower edge, taken from Oliver’s drawing “on the spot”. Map a little toned along folds, otherwise near fine. The map was reprinted in 1844 in a smaller landscape format to the larger scale of 10” to the mile. [With] the rare Reference to a Plan of the Town and County of Newcastle Upon Tyne, and the Borough of Gateshead, with their respective suburbs; shewing every public building and private property contained therein
...Small octavo, in the ORIGINAL WRAPPERS, Newcastle Upon Tyne; Published by Thomas Oliver, 1831.
Thomas Oliver (1791-1857) was a prominent surveyor and architect in the classical tradition, whose best known work today is the handsome Leazes Terrace in Newcastle upon Tyne. He produced a series of local maps and plans from the 1830s and was employed by the Liverpool and Manchester Railway Company as surveyor (ODNB). Arguably Newcastle’s finest surveyor, he once turned down a knighthood. "The finest map of Newcastle was published in 1831 by T Oliver”, “from an actual survey made the year previous, it was a superb map never since surpassed...It is on the largest scale, and is the most accurate and carefully got up map of the town up to this time” (F. Graham, Maps of Newcastle).